5.20.2008

Thing #2: What is library 2.0?

In my opinion, Library 2.0 is all about change. The tools we use and the jobs we do are morphing and the library needs to be flexible in adapting to the new changes ahead. I have to agree with Stephan Abram saying that we need to immerse ourselves to learn about the changes that are happening. Some of our patrons, whether in public or special libraries, are using these tools at home. It can only help us to know about what is available, whether our libraries have use for all of the tools or not. Yet at other times I have to agree with the Annoyed Librarian that Library 2.0 can be an over hyped idea, and change should not happen just for the sake of change.

I have a bit of an advantage at this because I am a GenX/GenY librarian, and have used some of the 2.0 applications. I use Skype often, have MySpace and Facebook accounts, and have my own blog. But, I am still learning 2.0 and working on how to integrate what I know and what I've used into my workplace. What will be helpful to my patrons and what will fail? What should I try?

No comments: